pmud vs. pbbuttonsd on iBook

I am new to running debian (testing) on my iBook 600MHz M8600LL/A, I have been using Yellow Dog for some time. I have been able to successfully install pbpbbuttonsd so that I can use the dim/brightness buttons as well as the volume buttons. I have also been able to install pmud to control the sleep mode of the ibook, however the two appear to be mutually exclusive. If I try installing pmud it requires removal of pbbuttonsd and vise versa. Is there a solution to this problem?

Tony