Re: Config X in Sarge

Hi Derek,

I just went through setting up X myself, with the same error. I can't even
guess what the problem is from your email, though, so I suggest the
following:

Check your /var/log/XFree86.0.log file and see what (WW) warning and (EE)
error messages there are. These should give you a good idea what the problem
is. (In my case it was a problem with the NVidia (nv) video card).

I posted to the list earlier that I think there might be a problem with
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, so, it would be good to know how
specifically you've reconfigured.

While this is not recommended, and I'm a noob, so don't trust me, I finally
got x working by abandoning the 'automatic' configuration tools, and editing
the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file by hand.

You can read the threads in late July on this list where a number of people
tried to help me with the same startx error.

My best,

Jon