Re: "Debian Within a Darwin System"

David Schleef <ds@schleef.org> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 02:01:43PM -0400, Scott Henson wrote:
>> Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> writes:
>>

>> > You really need to prefix these at build time.
>> >

>> No I don't think you need a prefix.
>
> gromit:~$ grep -l '/usr' /usr/bin/*|wc -l
> 1055
> gromit:~$
>
> How do those get fixed-up?  Defining a prefix at compile time is
> the usual solution.  Debian isn't ready for that -- but it's
> simply a matter of taking up the challenge of the large amount
> of (relatively easy) work.

Well I think it would be better to start on a full port of Debian to
Darwin and then later go back and fix this prefix problem.  Also I
noticed the Debian FreeBSD port was taking two approaches.  One was to
port glibc over and use it, while the other was just to use the
existing libc5 that is already on FreeBSD.  If I understand the
general feeling of people that have replied it is that they want to be
able to use these programs on MacOS, so using the native libc would
seem to be the way people here want to go.  I wonder how many of the
Debian FreeBSD's porting efforts would translate directly to Darwin.
I think Im going to have to find a spare box to install Darwin on.
Unfortunately its going to be an x86 box because my ibook doesn't have
the hard drive space for a Darwin install.

--
Scott Henson <scotth@csee.wvu.edu>