Preemptive ALSA question

Final job before I go away.

I understand that OSS does not support the ibook's microphone. Presumably my ibook 900 has an internal microphone?

I also understand that ALSA does.

Is this the case and if so should I expect a trouble free installation by just selecting alsa-base within aptitude and installing it? Have people had problems with this or am I barking up the wrong tree. I will be at sea without an internet connection for the rest of the month and while I'd like audio input I need output so don't want to break anything.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Adrian.
*******