Power management

First, thanks for all the advice on other issues, I now have a working ibook.

My problem now is merely that I can not get the thing to standby or suspend in the way I would expect on an x86 laptop, I have installed apm but cannot seem to call it in a way which succeeds. Searching the internet is has not proved particularly informative.

What should I be doing, if it sounds as if I haven't gone wrong I could send the output of each of my attempts but I suspect that I have omitted something fundamental.

Many thanks again,

Adrian.
*******