Re: 2.4 & 2.6 kernels, should sarge be 2.6 only at least for powerpc ?

At Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:51:22 +0200,
Sven Luther wrote:
> So, i am seriously considering dropping all 2.4 powerpc kernels, and
> going with 2.6 only, and would like to get feedback both from
> debian-kernel as well as debian-powerpc, feedback i didn't get in the
> past.
>
> Ah, and i am seriously considering dropping support for apus from the
> kernels (and thus debian-installer). I believe that they are only a
> handfull of apus users left, and those are happily running self built
> 2.2 kernels. Furthermore, i have some evidence that not only where the
> debian apus kernels never tried on apus, but also that there is big
> chance they don't even work. I don't have apus hardware anymore, so ...

The transition 2.4 -> 2.6 is generally good idea.

However, did you confirm that various packages is 2.6 ready?  For
example video/console related package and so on.  I don't want to see
a lot of FTBFS bugs that say: "PPC has only 2.6 kernel, and this
package is not usable!" before releasing sarge.  Testing one kernel is
easy; testing various packages is hard.

Unfortunatelly sarge release schedule is not decided yet, but I fear
this transition makes something damage for releasing sarge (including
d-i).  Is this well tested?  Except for this issue, I welcome your
decision.

Regards,
-- gotom