Re: 2.4 & 2.6 kernels, should sarge be 2.6 only at least for powerpc ?

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 02:22:11PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2004-06-30 13:31:25 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 01:02:14PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > > This is wrong. CRT output (when enabled by m3mirror) doesn't work with
> > > 2.6 kernels on my PowerBook. Sound doesn't properly work either (the
> > > rate is incorrect).
> >
> > So, where is your bug report ?
>
> Concerning the CRT problem, there is the bug 217778 (well, this is
> against a 2.4.25 kernel, but I said that this occurred with 2.6.5
> too, and I assume that this is the same problem).

Ok, but could you perhaps spawn a new bug report against the 2.6.x
packages ? And try agaion with both 2.6.6 and 2.6.7 when it escapes NEW.
Despite all its knoweldge and everything, our designed powerpc kernel
expert, Christoph, clearly said he doesn't care for 2.4 bug reports, so
it is better to have those that occur in both 2.4 and 2.6 also listed
against 2.6 packages.

> Concerning the sound problem, I posted several messages to this list,
> because I was not sure I was doing the correct thing. The latest thing
> I did was to put the following line in my modprobe.conf file:
>
> install sound /sbin/modprobe dmasound_pmac
>
> Now, I don't know, because my modprobe.conf file has been moved to
> "/etc/modprobe.d/old_etc_modprobe.conf". modprobe.conf(5) doesn't say
> anything about that. I assume there's a bug somewhere, but I don't
> know what bug and where.
>
> > And did you try with 2.6.7 ?
>
> Not yet, but it isn't on the official server yet. And I prefer not
> trying unless I know this is worth trying (i.e. some developer has
> looked at the problem), since I need to quit all my apps, change
> the monitor cables (for the CRT problem) and reboot.

2.6.7 alsa is better than the 2.6.6 one. in 2.6.6 sleep was broken on my
ibook by also, while it works on 2.6.7 at least.

Friendly,

Sven Luther