Re: 2.4 & 2.6 kernels, should sarge be 2.6 only at least for powerpc ?

Sven Luther wrote:

So, i am seriously considering dropping all 2.4 powerpc kernels, and
going with 2.6 only, and would like to get feedback both from
debian-kernel as well as debian-powerpc, feedback i didn't get in the
past.

- Kernel 2.6 is the new stable branch.
- Kernel 2.6 is better in all aspects than 2.4.
- Maintainers time is limited.

Go for the 2.6 and leave just the last version of 2.4 (or drop it too).

Ah, and i am seriously considering dropping support for apus from the
kernels (and thus debian-installer). I believe that they are only a
handfull of apus users left, and those are happily running self built
2.2 kernels. Furthermore, i have some evidence that not only where the
debian apus kernels never tried on apus, but also that there is big
chance they don't even work. I don't have apus hardware anymore, so ...

I agree.

Say, it would be nice to have everything always available, up and running, but Debian is made of volunteers, so let's face facts. We have old kernels for old computers.

Just my two cents anyway.

--
Jaume Sabater
http://linuxsilo.net