Re: What is the package 'kernel-tree-2.6.6' for?

Hello Jens, Hi all,

>> I'm going to compile a 2.6.6 Kernel for my iBook2.2.  [...] Do I
>> have to patch the kernel-patches by hand or has 'debian' already
>> done this for me, so that a can start with 'make menuconfig'?
>
>Debian has already patched, compiled and packaged the kernel for you,
>so after installing kernel-image-2.6.6-powerpc you can start with
>`reboot'.

Thank's for your answer! I see the formulation of my question was a
little mistakable.
I will 'learn' to compile my own 2.6.6 kernel. Therefore I was looking
different possibilities on the internet (BenH, Bitkeeper, Debian ...).

On <http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages> I found the package 'kernel-
tree-2.6.6'. Now, I would like to understand the additional benefits of
this package compared to 'apt-get install kernel-source kernel-debian-patch'.

Kind regards

Roland Wegmann
rowe_gnu@gmx.net