Re: Compiling 2.6.5 on iMac

On Jun 7, 2004, at 12:13 AM, Jens Schmalzing wrote:

Hi,

Alex Solla writes:

I'm trying to configure and install kernel-source-2.6.5 on a Summer
2001 iMac DV.

Any reason for not using the prebuilt kernel-image packages?  Any
reason for not using 2.6.6?

None, really. (2.6.5 is the most recent kernel source in the sarge distribution) Bandwidth is cheap--I'll give that a try.

I'm trying to optimize for speed, so I'm trying to get rid of any
hardware drivers for hardware that isn't installed.

I'd recommend that you use the kernel from kernel-image-2.6.6-powerpc.
The kernel binary itself is very small, and the drivers that you need
to get running can be loaded as modules.

Perhaps you could help me set up usb support for my imac (or point me towards some documentation). I tried several usb settings (including leaving everything in), but when I boot from that kernel, my usb mouse and keyboard don't even light up. When I left everything on, the installer reported an error 1 about whiteheat.o, so I ditched that driver.

Thanks!
Alex