gnome 2.6 -> no more .Xmodmap

I upgraded to gnome 2.6 yesterday and it went rather well (except that I
was prompted to accept the new config file for each schema file in capplet
IIRC). But when login in gnome 2.6, I was inform that my .Xmodmap would
be ignored and I had to use the keyboard properties.

Here is the content of my .Xmodmap:
~$ cat .Xmodmap
keycode 108 = Multi_key
keycode 115 = Mode_switch
keysym m = m M mu

The really important thing for me is the Multi_key definition (ie.
compose key), the code 108 is for the "Enter" key on my powerbook.
The keyboard property dialog proposes only three possibilities for the
compose key: "Menu" "Right Alt" "Right Win". Obviously I have none of
them in my keyboard.

Is there a way to restore the old way (read my .Xmodmap) or to add a
possibility to the keyboard properties.

I looked in gconf and the compose key code is set by name:
   options = [compose compose:menu]

Thanks,
Christophe

Cats seem go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for
what you want. --Joseph Wood Krutch