Re: Cannot boot any cd/floppy/kernel on OF prep machine

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:12:57AM +0900, Jerome Walter wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 06:35:01PM +0900, Jerome Walter wrote:
>
> >>Ok, i have it booting by tftp, i found a db9/db25 adapter to plug a
> >>serial console. Now how do i specify the console thing ? if i set file
> >>to be downloaded as 'vmlinuz console=ttyS0,tty0' the space is taken as
> >>end of ip setting, and the coma too.
> >>Is there a way to change the vmlinuz file to contain the parameters by
> >>default ?
> >

> >Bah, i am not familiar enough with the PReP boot procedure to reply
> >here. It is possible to embedd those boot infos into the kernel, but
> >this happens at build time, and i am not aware of it being possible to
> >do it later, but let me investigate.
> >
> >Could you perhaps copy the kernel to a prep partition, and boot it from
> >there ?
>
> BTW, i found a kernel which is working quite fine on an rs/6000 page.

Do you also have the .config file for it, so we can check what is the
problem for us ?

> The author patched it and made a perl script so that we could change the
> boot parameters with no difficulty and i have both serial and console
> working with this one.
> Page is http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/downloads.php

Cool, this would be of interest to us too. Nice it is GPLed from Leigh,
let's see what use we can make from it. Maybe ship it in mkvmlinuz ?

> What parameters should i pass to go on to the cd installation ?

Let's just try to boot the kernel first, without doing that, it won't
help much. argument for the console are as below, we need to get serial
log output to know what is going wrong.

> Another solution should be to have a <1.4MB boot image, so that i could
> put it on floppy and specify console=ttyS0,tty0 as boot file/parameters.
> Is there any available "little" file ?

Yep, but see if the above method is not working.

> >Well, the above should be installable in parallel, but maybe the prep
> >box won't like it, i understand you. Let's see if we can manage
> >something with the serial cable.
>
> What about the 2.6 kernel ? I know they are behaving far better with
> Estrella 200 at least.

Fine test it, i hope it works, not sure it has serial log builtin, but
let's give it a try. You would need to build the initrd though.

> P.S: I don't like Powerpc anymore ;) i386, Alpha and sparc gave me far
> less problems ;) Have to Debianize my Zaurus anyway ;)

Well, if you had a pmac, you would face no such problems, Or if you had
some less supporteed alpha, sparc or even i386, you would have the same
problems. That said, once we fix it for you, it will become easier for
other prep users too. Also, i naturally accept donation of prep hardware
for doing this kind of stuff in advance :)

Friendly,

Sven Luther