Re: Cannot boot any cd/floppy/kernel on OF prep machine

Sven Luther wrote:

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 06:35:01PM +0900, Jerome Walter wrote:

Ok, i have it booting by tftp, i found a db9/db25 adapter to plug a serial console. Now how do i specify the console thing ? if i set file to be downloaded as 'vmlinuz console=ttyS0,tty0' the space is taken as end of ip setting, and the coma too. Is there a way to change the vmlinuz file to contain the parameters by default ?

Bah, i am not familiar enough with the PReP boot procedure to reply
here. It is possible to embedd those boot infos into the kernel, but
this happens at build time, and i am not aware of it being possible to
do it later, but let me investigate.

Could you perhaps copy the kernel to a prep partition, and boot it from
there ?

BTW, i found a kernel which is working quite fine on an rs/6000 page. The author patched it and made a perl script so that we could change the boot parameters with no difficulty and i have both serial and console working with this one.
Page is http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/downloads.php

What parameters should i pass to go on to the cd installation ?

Another solution should be to have a <1.4MB boot image, so that i could put it on floppy and specify console=ttyS0,tty0 as boot file/parameters. Is there any available "little" file ?

Well, the above should be installable in parallel, but maybe the prep
box won't like it, i understand you. Let's see if we can manage
something with the serial cable.

What about the 2.6 kernel ? I know they are behaving far better with Estrella 200 at least.

P.S: I don't like Powerpc anymore ;) i386, Alpha and sparc gave me far less problems ;) Have to Debianize my Zaurus anyway ;)

Jerome