RE: 2.6.6 kernel - which one?

Hi.. I compiled the 2.6.6 kernel again, used config-2.6.6-powerpc, the patches from kernel-patches-2.6.6. I used make-kpkg for the first time. The compile went fine. I then did a dpkg -i <kernel-image-that-was-created> and that went fine too. I looked at /boot and it had the new vmlinux-2.6.6. Added this to yaboot.conf, called it linux26, ran ybin and rebooted. Alas, linux26 is unable to mount the root fs. Any ideas why? Does it need initrd?

So I reboot again and try to boot the old kernel which was /vmlinux.old .. now this doesn't boot either. I suspect that when I did the dpkg, it wrote the last /vmlinux kernel (which did not boot) to /vmlinux.old and erased my working /vmliux.old.. so I'm stuck now.. is there a way to boot from the CD and then mount the /dev/hdaX partition? Please let me know.

Thanks,
nirmal

<<winmail.dat>>