Re: kernel 2.6 difference between g4 and powerpc kernel

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 11:29:51AM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 08:33:31PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > There is some confusion here, there are currently only 4 kernel images,
> > in both normal and smp flavor, powerpc for all powerpc processors from
> > early 601 to the latest g4, power3 for the ibm power3 boxes, and
> > power4/g5 for the power4/ppc970 processors on ibm/apple g5 boxes.
>
> btw, do we really need the power3 vs power4 split?  I know the ppc64

Well, i suppose so.

> folks only need split kernels for iseries vs pseries and g5, and each

Wellm there is also an option to "enable power4 optimizations" which
would make it non bootable on power3 for the pserie kernel, which means
that the power3/power4 distinction is still there, and furthermore we
would like to ship both.

> of the kernels supports from the very first RS64 over power3 to power4,
> and I'd be really wondering if ppc32 is different.

Yes it is, well, or is not if you consider the above.

Friendly,

Sven Luther