Re: Cannot boot any cd/floppy/kernel on OF prep machine

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 06:35:01PM +0900, Jerome Walter wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 04:34:17PM +0900, Jerome Walter wrote:
> >
> >>Sven Luther wrote:
>
> >>Sorry, i won't snip dmesg ...
> >

> >Huh ? i think you reached the limit of my english knowledge with this
> >one.
>
> Perhaps because it is not english... I got used to [snip] parts of too
> long quotes on usenet. Sorry ;)

I was not sure of the meaning, but it is clear now, thanks.

> >pcnet and sym53c8xx drivers are included, not sure about the ide
> >controller though. I don't know about an fbdev driver for the cirrus
> >logic, and am not sure we include the vga console. That said, a serial
> >console (Well, with a null modem and a second box running minicom for
> >example) should be enough for debugging the kernel. If you have such a
> >setup, please boot the d-i kernel with the additional console=ttyS00
> >console=tty0 option, in order to see where it fails. I suspect it
> >probably is the missing fbdev/vgacon.
>
> Mmmh, i do have serial ports, i do have a Cisco serial cable, but it
> seems my predecessor lost the adapters, so i cannot plug anything. I
> would have done it a long time ago, as howtos about rs/6000 are dealing
> with it. Perhaps i will have to buy a cable...
>
> >Also, make sure you boot install/powerpc/vmlinuz-prep.initrd on the
> >netinst iso, or use the netboot image.
>
> Ok, i have it booting by tftp, i found a db9/db25 adapter to plug a
> serial console. Now how do i specify the console thing ? if i set file
> to be downloaded as 'vmlinuz console=ttyS0,tty0' the space is taken as
> end of ip setting, and the coma too.
> Is there a way to change the vmlinuz file to contain the parameters by
> default ?

Bah, i am not familiar enough with the PReP boot procedure to reply
here. It is possible to embedd those boot infos into the kernel, but
this happens at build time, and i am not aware of it being possible to
do it later, but let me investigate.

Could you perhaps copy the kernel to a prep partition, and boot it from
there ?

> >>Still "The attempt to load boot file failed" and jumps to hard drive boot.
> >

> >Huh, this should not happen. can you install the
> >kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-prep package on the working system (in
> >sarge/sid though) and try booting /boot/vmlinuz-2.5.25-powerpc ?
>
> The machine is woody prod running 2.2.x kernel. I will not play with the
> kernel on it. I have bad experience with the 2.4.25 kernel on the
> Estrella 200.

Well, the above should be installable in parallel, but maybe the prep
box won't like it, i understand you. Let's see if we can manage
something with the serial cable.

Friendly,

Sven Luther