Re: Cannot boot any cd/floppy/kernel on OF prep machine

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 03:09:53PM +0900, Jerome Walter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First, excuse if it is the wrong list, but it is no newsgroup, so having
> no Followup-To available, i choose powerpc amongst boot, cd and devel.

No, this is the right list for this.

> I am currently trying to install a Woody on an Bull Estrella 300
> machine, running a Prep Motorola 604e Utah processor (/proc/cpuinfo) and
> OpenFirmware. Having also an Estrella 200 running fine with it (Estrella
> 200 is Blackhawk with PPCBug firmware).

How much memory have those boxes ?

> I tried any cd from woody to debian-installer tc1 passing by netboot and
> floppies. They all give the same result: nice black screen (except from
> d-i that gives "The attempt to load a boot image failed").

Please, don't use woody, but debian-installer and sarge. I would be glad
to help you out making sure sarge will install and work fine on your
hardware. debian-installer needs between 24 and 32 Mo of ram though,
which may be a problem on PReP boxes, not sure what is your case.

> I have already a similar machine running a woody (2.2.12), from a
> working.

Ok, ... So, the first order of business is to understand what hardware
those boxes have. Please provide a lspci -n, lspci and dmesg output.
(possibly to me, or better yet to a debian-installer bug report). Also
the content of /proc/cpuinfo would be welcome.

Then, to test debian-installer, you need to boot the prep kernel, which
you find in install/powerpc/vmlinuz-prep.initrd. This may work out of
the box, but if not, we need to know the kernel config used in the
working kernel, and/or see for ourselves what is going wrong. Do you per
chance have a serial console setup or something such, for getting early
kernel log info ?

> BTW, this could be also considered as a boot failure for
> debian-installer-tc1 image ;)

What is tcl ?

Please, keep me CCed on any response here.

Friendly,

Sven Luther