Re: thinking about installing Debian

Once upon a time (Tuesday 01 June 2004 0009), in a land far, far, away,
somebody calling themself Ed Sutherland inscribed this message:
> This is not meant as flame-bait, but an honest question: aside from the
> open vs proprietary debate, what reasons can readers give for the
> average desktop computer user to switch from Apple's Mac OS X to
> Debian, YDL or any of the many PPC Linux distros? Thanks.

Check the recent discussion at

 http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/05/msg00181.html

for why some of us like debian in particular, vs. other distros.  Also
check other replies in this same thread.  I can't really give much insight
into your particular question because I switched from OS 8.6 to linux
because linux was 1) free, 2) could do a whole lot more than os 8.6 given
the same hardware.

Also, please do try to keep discussions on list.  I don't terribly mind
getting personal mail, but it's more useful for people who are wondering
the same things as you are if the discussion is archived in a
Google-accessible place.  You will also get more useful information that
way. :^)

NRH
--
It is so stupid of modern civilization to have given up believing in the
devil when he is the only explanation of it.  - Ronald Knox