Re: thinking about installing Debian

> 5) Now for the bad news.  Debian's a bit of a pain in the ass to install.  The
> new beta installer ( http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ ) makes
> things a bit easier, but you'll still have to tinker with things and use the
> mailing lists, etc to get things going.  But once you get it set-up, get X
> working, get your sound, network, etc. all up and running, you'll have a
> lean, mean, and FREE (http://www.debian.org/social_contract.html) Linux
> machine!

I just finished using the beta installer and I was happily surprised by
how easy it was to install onto my Powerbook. Of course this isn't an
old world machine, so I don't know how smooth it is with those.

If you have a broadband connection then the net installer CD's are a
quick download, and the have daily images are usually a good bet.  I
would recommend using the Sid images as they had the slightly newer
packages with bugfixes when I last tried about 2 weeks ago.  The folks
on the mailing list are quite helpful and usually quick to reply.  If
you shoot them a mail before installing they'll recommend which CD
images to use.

Lakin