Re: iBook 800Mhz G3 fan on a lot

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 02:14:02PM +0200, Cedric Pradalier wrote:
> According to float@lefant.net, on Fri, 28 May 2004 13:05:03 +0200,
> >On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 11:45:35AM +0200, Cedric Pradalier wrote:
> >>
> >> Many thanks for testing.
> >>
> >you're welcome,
> >
> >only thing fan doesn't seem to stop anymore
> >
> >bash-2.05b$ cat /sys/devices/temperatures/info*
> >T:52.500°C S:56°C R:10°C
> >T:45.625°C S:50°C R:10°C
> >
> >values were like this for quite some time (went shoping) but fan is
> >still blowing on what i assume low speed
> >
> >so when is it supposed to turne of?
>
> This is due to a spec of the adm1030 chip. To avoid switching on and off
> the fan, it does not stop before reaching 5 degrees below its starting
> point. That's why I use 52. On my ibook it's quite easy to go below 47.
> Unfortunately, this is not accessible in the chip parameters.
>
> On osx, I guess they use software control of the chip and stop the fan
> earlier. This should be possible here (on the model of Colin's
> therm_adt7...), but I prefer not to use my cpu for this.

Thx for explanation, fan is of now, will see how temperature developes
during normal use and calibrate the thing according to this.

Thx also for the work on the driver

ffpx float

                       _        |    .''`.Florian Klinglmueller
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )       |   : :'  :debian-ppc user
 - against HTML email  X        |   `. `'`
             & vCards / \       |     `- float@jabber.org