Pre-Beginner's post (convince me)

Hi, I'm completely new to linux and I'm trying to bring some sense of
clarity to it all.  I want to run a dual boot system with OS9 and Linux on
my Umax S900 (oldworld mac clone).  The main purpose of my work on the
computer is audio applications however I may/will want to setup a network
and/or computer farm that involves old and new world macs and PC machines.

What I'm wondering is which distribution of Linux to install.  I realize
that to each their own, but due to the overwhelming technical documentation
and the lack of spare time that I have lying around I would like some help.
Can someone point out the best reasons to go with say YellowDog, Mandrake,
Gentoo, or Debian?  What are the faults of each of these?  I realize that
pretty much everyone on this list will be running Debian and to tell the
truth that's the one I'm favoring despite the seriously technical
installation process, but could you please attempt to be unbiased if at all
possible.  Or if you know of a site that compares Distros that is kept up to
date that would be much apreciated as well.  Thanks.

-Eric