Re: Xeasyconf?

On 2004 Apr 28 , at 09:24, Ed Sutherland wrote:

I've been trying the dpkg way (xeasyconf fails with many unresolved
errors) to configure xfree. The system blanks the screen and comes back
with the dreaded "no screen found" error. I need a working XF86Config-4
file for an iMac. Here are my responses to the dpkg screens:

I select the "ati" drive.
I select "ATI Technologies Rage 128 Pro TR" as the video card ID.
I enter "PCI:0:16:0" as my BusID (lspci says the decimal output is
0:10.0)
I say "yes" to the framebuffer (have also tried "no")
I say "Advanced" for monitor characteristics (66Hz refresh;75-117Hz
vert. refresh)
I pick 1024X768 as the screen size with 16-bit color-depth.

What am I missing? Every other linux distro -- YDL, Mandrake, Gentoo --
have set-up X-Windows in minutes; Debian takes days, or even weeks.

Thanks.

Ed

I wish I could disagree with you on the difficulty of setting up X on a new debian box, but I can't. Setting up X is the most difficult part for me when I set up a new machine with debian. My semi escape goat method of setting up X on debian is to boot knoppix after the initial debian install and then steal and possibly tweak the XF86Config file knoppix creates. Perhaps that will be an option for you too.

-cira