pbbuttonsd and /dev/pmu

I have been trying (and trying and trying and trying) to get pbbuttonsd working
on my 1Ghz Tibook, and the apt source never seems to work, so I got the more
recent Debian package off of the pbbuttonsd homepage and installed it. I now
have brightness control, which is a step in the right direction, but nothing
regarding sound, I have all of the necesary modules compiled into the kernel
(SND_OSSEMUL=y, SND_MIXER_OSS=m, SND_PCM_OSS=m, on a vanilla 2.6.4). I also have
tried starting pbbuttonsd from the command line and get an error saying that
/dev/pmu doesn't exist. How can I fix this? I don't think I want to download
pmud, because those features are already in pbbuttonsd now. Can anyone at all
help? I'm driving myself nuts trying to get this working right.

Thank you,
Derek Otto