Re: Cloned display on an external monitor with an iBook 2.2

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 02:54:23 +0200,
Tommi Virtanen gracefully wrote:
>Hi. I just managed to get the external VGA connector working on my 12"
>iBook. I've documented the few hops I jumped through in
>
>http://tv.debian.net/articles/ibook-cloned-monitor/
>
>Sneak preview: run X once without UseFBDev, then again with UseFBDev
>set. Article includes everything needed to do this at every boot.

I tried this and it did not work on my machine. It seems to be quite
hardware dependent. Nevertheless, there exists two other solutions which
have already been discussed on this list : either using xinerama or
using mergedfb.

See threads "ibook radeonfb mirroring" and "MergedFB on ibook".

Basically using xinerama you can make a superposed layout and activate
both output of the radeon, one using fbdev and the other not using it.
It works but stops DRI.

Using mergedfb is even better since it provides functionnalities similar
to xinerama, but with DRI activated. The bad point is that with current
X server on daenzer.org, there is a little patch to apply to hardcode
some values in the radeon driver.

http://linuxuanl.org/~jpablo/stuff/ibook-screen/

Once done it works perfectly and can even sleep and awake with both
monitors plugged.

I attach my XF86Config-4 which contains all these options activated with
different -layout when starting X.

--
Cedric

"[Of course] I'm French! Why do think I have this outrageous
accent, you silly king-a?!"  Monty Python and the Holy Grail