Re: Linux on G5 X-Serve

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 15:59, James Whatever wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> We're running out a custom application for a local print house and they
> really prefer to use mac's where possible (me too!).  The application
> involves running transforms on really really large image files amongst
> other things, so needs heaps of RAM and loads of speed.
>
> Can anyone give me feedback as to how well supported the new dual G5
> X-Serve's are on Linux?  Specifically how fast is it?  Is all the
> thermal management, etc supported?  How about the RAID arrays?

The desktop G5 is well supported with both 32 and 64 bits kernels.
The Xserve isn't supported yet since afaik, no HW is currently shipping
yet, though I expect the support for it to come quickly once it's out,
I've had a quick look at the Darwin code for it, and it seems few things
changes. The thermal managemement is different, but the source is there,
hopefully, I'll be able to write a driver quickly once I get access to
a machine.

Ben.