Re: Sarge/beta-3 on a RS6000/43P-150 (PPC 604e, CHRP)?

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 02:05:09PM +0100, Patrick wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> New to the list but not new to the archives, google and any place else I
> could think of trying to find an answer.
>
> I've seen some discussion on this list regarding RS6K CHRP boxes and it
> doesn't really give me guidance how to successfully boot & install
> Sarge/beta-3 on my 43P-150 (604e CPU, CHRP, OpenFirmware, no gfx card).
> For instance, the images at http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/ don't
> seem to work on a 43P Model 150 according to a subscriber of this list.

Well, please try :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/vmlinuz-chrp-rs6k-di-beta3-2004.03.16

And if it doesn't work, provide feedback on why, and we will fix this
together.

> I could not make the sarge-powerpc-netinsta.iso image boot which can be
> found at
> http://people.debian.org/cdimage/testing/sarge_d-i/powerpc/current/

Well, this is normal right now. Please tell me if the above works. I
will then add the needed magic to make bootable CHRP-RS6K CDs. There was
already someone here who volunteered to help making it happen.

> Hopefully your much appreciated pointers/feedback to the questions below
> will get me to a successful install:
>
> 1) is there an iso image that I can use to boot the 43P-150 and get
>    into the installer? Where?

No, unless you are able to use yaboot for booting your box. In this
case, the cdrom image would work, but it needs some cd-boot magic.

The easiest way is simply to boot the kernel i mention to you above,
which has the initrd builtin, and which you can try to either launch
directly from the OF (is this possible on chrp-rs6k ?) or netboot it.

> 2) if yes, which command do I use on the OpenFirmware prompt?
>    I tried things like: 0 > boot cdrom:,\boot.img console=ttyS0
>    but that didn't work

I do boot /pci/ide/cd@1,0 vmlinuz.. devfs=mount, but this is on pegasos,
so i don't know how you OF works.

Make sure you don't forget the devfs=mount option, or d-i will not work.

> 3) if the bootable iso image idea won't fly, are boot images
>    available for booting the 43P-150/CHRP from a floppy? Where?

No, not yet, altough it may be interesting to try this. Not sure if it
is easily possible though, and as i have no floppy disk ...

> 4) if yes, which command do I use on the OpenFirmware prompt?
> 5) perhaps I am looking in the wrong direction and you have *the*
>    solution which allows me to install Sarge/beta-3 in a blink
>    of an eye?

Yeah, use the above mentioned kernel and netbooting.

> I am assuming that once successfully booted, the installer will be
> automatically started. If that is not the case, some pointers how to
> make that happen are most welcome.

You are assuming right.

Friendly,

Sven Luther