Re: debian-installer on oldworld -- how-to ?

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:34:45AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> You need an embedded ramdisk for the vmlinux.coff, right. What about
> bootx, what kernel/initrd do you use for this setup ?

Honestly, I haven't booted up an oldworld PowerMac recently. My Wallstreet
PB was installed with woody, using a normal kernel image, and whatever
root.bin file was standard for ppc Macs at the time. I installed it using
bootx, and just selected the kernel binary and the root disk image as the
initrd. It was pretty simple. My 7600 doesn't have Debian installed,
because I haven't regularly used it in ages.

> > image if I needed to use an initrd. I don't think booting the installer
> > directly from quik was ever supported before.
>
> Why should it not ?

Well, I didn't try very hard, but I never got quik to properly use an
initrd image. It may work if you know what you're doing, but I couldn't
get it to work. It's also a pain to use quik without Linux already
installed on the machine, so it's not very useful for an initial install.
I don't think quik works reliably on anything other than a SCSI or IDE
hard drive.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com