Re: Alsa Kernel Sources

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 the mental interface of
Kiko Piris told:

> On 10/01/2004 at 00:57, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
>
> > can someone tell me where to request the alsa-101.patch, which can
> > be found in Andrew Mortons kernel tree at
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/\
> > 2.6.1-mm1/broken-out/alsa-101.patch
> > to the newest ben tree?
>
> Apply it yourself. It aplies with _one_ single hunk (of one line, btw)
> on 2.6.1-rc1-ben1.

Of course that's easy. But alsa is official released within the
kernel sources. Actual 1.0.1 is released from the alsa people. So
why not provide it for everyone? Not every sound app supports
"alsa 1.0". But there are patches available for apps such as mplayer
and libao. It'll take a short time for alsa to be the standard sound
interface in linux.

The Debian-Alsa Psychos <debian-alsa@lists.wedontsleep.org>, who are
maintining the alsa packages, have to follow up with the packages of
alsa-utils etc. It is of course easy to build my own debs, but why
not for every one?

Ciao

Elimar

--
  Experience is something you don't get until
  just after you need it!