Change Kernel for PowerBook G4

Dear Debian Users,

i've just installed Debian Woody 3.0.2 from CDROM on my G4 PowerBook (November 2002) with 1GHz, 1MB L3 Cache and a Radeon 9000 (64 MB DDR SDRAM) Graphic Card in it. I can't setup X11.

I think i should change my kernel, then all my problems are solved. I want to install Ben Herrenschmidt's Kernel (2.4.23-pre5-ben0) from this homepage: http://www.ppckernel.org/kernel.php?id=30

I've already done this with dselect on my x86 Architecture. But i don't know how to do this with a tar.gz file (without dselect). I installed all packages till today with dselect and my CD's. I will use my airport card, download the Kernel and burn it on CD (i've not the possibility to use Ethernet - Network). So, can anyone tell me in detail what to do? Download Kernel and also config. file? Ok, create the CD.

Console: mount /cdrom that's clear!
Then: Commads for the tar.gz file? Including the kernel?
How do i have to change the /etc/Yaboot.conf file? How do i delete the old kernel? MacOSX shall remain on my harddisk!
ybin, then reboot?

It would be great, if someone could help me. Thanks a lot!
Christian