Re: Can I Install AND boot a new Kernel on an OldWorld PMac?

On Thursday 08 January 2004 12:24, somebody named christian funk inscribed
> > - reboot zapping the PRAM and the press option-command-o-f to boot
> > into the OF, if it doesn't work try again, you want the OF settings
> > before MacOS touches them
>
> Carful! This is likely not to work if your box defaults it's input- and
> output-device to ttya.

Indeed, you probably don't want to do this.  Macs (all of the pmac 7x00, 8x00,
9x00 series, I think, correct me if there are exceptions) will default to
using the modem port for input and output, rendering your machine unreachable
unless you have a serial terminal.

>You'll need a two box setup to get the
> "original" nvram default settings. But then again you may not need
> them... you need the ones that work ;)

Well, no, what MacOS does on these boxen (I know, I'm typing from one) is to
reset the nvram completely - patches, boot device, etc.  So all you need to
do to get stuff reset is boot into MacOS. :^)  I think the values are the
same as default (i.e., post reseting the pram) for the [7x00|8x00|9x00]
boxen.  I think I heard someone say this is different for beige G3s?

Also, I assume you found the NetBSD Model Support page (linked from http://
penguinppc.org/projects/quik)?  I found the 'see also' section helpfull,
click the 'What is OF and why do I care' link and scroll down - 'What can I
do at the Open Firmware prompt?' and the corresponding Usefull Variables
right after it are good things to have printed out once you get into OF.  I
hope I'm not duplicating anything here, but I found it useful. :^)

Now just to be contrary (and sorry for jumping in this late :^) ), I got
things to work fine with Apple's System Disk utility.  I basically followed
the instructions at http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/SystemDisk-tutorial/
and it worked.  (That is, I got into OF and could manipulate anything else I
needed to from there.)  And having said all that, I'm still using BootX. :^)
I couldn't get quik to boot a 2.4 kernel, only the default 2.2 and I finally
gave up.  Do keep everyone updated on progress, I'd dump BootX if I
could. :^)

NRH
--
Some people around here wouldn't recognize subtlety if it hit them on the
head.