Re: Debian or Gentoo?

On 07/01/2004, at 10:48 AM, J.Manrique Lopez de la Fuente wrote:

Hello,

Sorry if this begins a flamewar, but some friends of mine are using Gentoo on their iBooks G4, and they have recommended me to use Gentoo instead of
Debian for my iBook G4.
Despite Gentoo famous emerge system to compile packages, they say that
Gentoo has XFree 4.4 and altivec support for the G4 iBooks that Debian
doesn't have. Is that true?

I assume they mean 'anything compiled has gcc flags for altivec optimization', which in real terms, doesn't really add up to much extra speed at all. No idea on the XFree 4.4.

I've been using Debian for some years in my x86, and some kind of Debian on my iPAQs, so I am a happy Debian user; but they have semi-convinced me
about Gentoo.
Why should I use Debian on my G4?

So you don't spend days compiling stuff anytime you want to upgrade a package? :-)

Thanks and best regards,
J.Manrique López  de la Fuente        (o-  /
Jabber: jsmanrique@jabber.org         //\-/
http://www.asturlinux.org/~jsmanrique V_/_