Re: keyboard!#%^&

Chris,

 I decided to take your advice
and give apt-get another chance, following your
settings and recommendations and it worked
perfectly.  It really is a remarkable and
impressive phenomenon.

Thanks.

However, it didn't get startx to work, though, but
at least it gave me a different error message;
that xserver-xfree86 was not fully installed.  I did
an apt-get to rectify that situation, which it did,
then ran dpkg-reconfigure on it, which it did.
After all that I'm back to my same old error
message on startx again -- can find the mouse.
I've tried using (in /etc/X11/XF86Config) for
device: "/dev/usbmouse" (which I think is what
reconfigure did, does that sound right?)  Then
"usbmouse" (which is what was in there before
and worked) and then "/dev/input/mice".  None
of these work.  When using "/dev/input/mice" the
process points out -- correctly -- that there is no
such file.  This is the exact same problem I had
when I set up potato, which took forever to fix, I
can't believe I have to go through it all again.  My
recollection is that it was solved at that time with
"usbmouse", but that is not working now.  The
choices for mouse in reconfigure don't have
anything that really seems appropriate (like USB
mouse, for instance).  Sorry to be back to the
same old thing, but do you have any other
ideas?

Mike

P.S:  If I haven't said so far, it's a 3-button/wheel
Logitech USB mouse.