Re: need (pmac owner help) with powerpc package.

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 06:38:35PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 09:33:21AM -0800, Brad Boyer wrote:
> > More specifically, you should only need to worry about finding it
> > in oldworld and nubus Macs.
>
> Mmm, nubus Macs we don't support anyway, but oldworld we do.
>
> Do people usually netboot from those, and even if they do, could it be
> possible that the people doing this use a module initrd or something to
> do such, and thus allow us to put this driver as module ?

>From my experience, most people boot from the hard drives on these
boxes. This was the generation of hardware that quik was originally
written to support, so it works as well as can be expected with all
the bugs in the old version of OpenFirmware used in them. However,
netbooting should work, and as I remember it actually worked before
booting from a hard drive. I believe the vmlinux.coff images are
used for netboot on oldworld Macs but I don't remember if they have
an initrd built-in. I haven't used my old 7600 much in quite a while.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com