Re: Kernel hangs during boot on PowerBook G4 17 1GHz

> 	Thanks for taking the time to reply.  Yes, you nailed it; an
> nVidia-based 17" albook.  I briefly got past the issue I had posted and
> experienced three different types of segmentation faults and weird
> hangs.  Is there another kernel version I should try, or am I doomed
> with this unit?
> 	This particular PowerBook model seems to be a collage of the worst of
> Apple's hardware configurations when it comes to trying to run Linux.
> Does anybody have a recommendation on Apple laptops within the last two
> years that are kind of the most suitable for running Debian?

Try what I did, that is boot with "nol3" on the kernel command line.
The best powerbook to run linux on currently are the previous models,
the 1Ghz Titanium with ATI graphics (not the newest ones).

I have one of the new iBook G4s on loan from Apple for a couple of weeks,
I'll see if I can get full support for this one as well. Full support for
the newest 15 and 17" machines will require some help from ATI; but there
is hope (for sleep support). There is currently no hope getting sleep
support to work on any nVidia based model.

Ben.