Re: IDE in 7300

> On 03 de dez de 2003, at 13:43, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>
> >> First thing: upgrade to a 2.4 kernel; that really boosts performance
> >> on
> >> PPC hardware. For your machine, a standard 2.4 kernel (kernel.org, for
> >> instance) will do.
> >
> > I will do this then. I originally didn't upgrade out of memory
> > considerations, but meanwhile the mem was upgraded from 32M to 96M, so
> > guess it would be no problem.
>
> Well, not only that (boosting the performance), but using a 2.4 kernel
> was a requisite for a PMac 9500/180MP that I had for a few months to
> recognize all the PCI slots that it had, while the 2.2 kernel wasn't
> able to see everything.
>
> Among other things, this meant that I couldn't use X without changing
> how the cards are internally disposed with a 2.2 kernel, while with a
> 2.4 kernel things would just work.

The PCI slots work. I put a couple of DEC networkcards and a ATI
Mach videocard in it, and those are detected.

So it is something with this card, it being not plug and play the obvious
reason.

I managed to compile a recent 2.4 kernel, but dhcp doesn't work anymore.

I can vaguely remember dhclient to be major kernel version dependant, so
I'll try to look into that tonight.