Re: Installation on PowerBook G4 (M8859/A) 1GHz ATI 9000

This can be done, but there are a couple tricks.

This is my machine. I found http://www.cattlegrid.net/~christophe/titanium/ which told how to install on the previous version of the G4, but it worked for me.

Basically, the steps are this:
1) Install from the woody install CDs. Make sure you choose the install24 option (2.2 will not work). 2) Get a newer kernel (I got 2.4.22), compile it, and install it (needed to get X working). Be careful that you do not mess up the keyboard! Take a look at http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/keycodes for details. 3) From http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk/ install the following packages: drm-trunk-module-src xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk xlibmesa3-dri-trunk

This should get you a basic system.

Johnathon Jamison