Re: gnome on powerpc testing or unstable is VERY SLOW

Brendan J Simon wrote:

I installed gnome from unstable and it does the same thing. The splash screen comes up straight away and then just sits there. Eventually sawfish appears but that is after a long delay.

Is it something with my X server or possible something with my kernel. Maybe I need a particular module loaded (eg. sound or something). I am using XF86 v 4.3.0 from experimental. I need > 4.3 to support my hardware.

I left my PowerBook-17 on over night and I couldn't believe it when I saw a gnome 2.4 desktop with menus etc. I must take A VERY LONG TIME to appear but it eventually does appear. If I can find out what is slowing the whole process down then I would be very happy. I assume it is the same thing that is slowing gnome 2.2 (from testing) down. I wonder if I get menus/panels etc with the testing version of gnome ???

Any clues ???

Cheers,
Brendan Simon.