Re: Setting OpenFirmware boot params on a 6500

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:21:19AM +0200, Freek Dijkstra wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Here is what did work for me:
> - Boot from the MacOS 9 system on the external SCSI disk
> - put a linux.bin and ramdisk.image.gz in the "Linux Kernels" of the MacOS 9
> system
> - Specify to boot from /dev/hda2 in BootX
> - Boot into Linux
>
> So, though I am not using the linux.bin and ramdisk.image.gz (since I'm
> booting from /dev/hda2) it did the trick of getting rid of the BootX error
> message ("Error, could not find a suitable kernel file").

No, actually you _are_ using the linux.bin. Since you specified no ramdisk,
you're not using the randisk.image.gz. But you'll notice that upgrading
your kernel in Debian will not upgrade the kernel that is booted, unless
you also copy it to your MacOS Linux Kernels folder and choose it.

> All works fine, with the exception that my network link stalls indefinitely
> every now and then. Just brining the link down and up (either in software,
> or by physically unplugging and plugging the cable) makes it work again. I
> expect a bug in the driver. If I can't resolve it, I just ask again on the
> appropriate list.
>
> Now it would be nice to put MacOS on one of the partitions of the internal
> IDE disk (hda), so I don't need the external SCSI drive anymore, but that's
> not as urgent. I'll just have to find a (MacOS) tool to initialize/mount the
> partition in MacOS. If someone has a suggestion, let me know personally
> (please not on the list, since it is not Debian related). The version of
> Drive Setup I used didn't do it.

If you set the partition type as HFS in mac-fdisk, and use hformat to
put a file system on it, maybe MacOS will try to mount it and offer to
initialize it. Then you can just drag the System Folder over to install
MacOS 9.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People