weird problem with CD-drive eject

Hi.. I've started experiencing a weird problem with the Combo drive in my
ibook.. for some reason, it keeps getting ejected.. I think the Shift key
triggered it but once it starts, an eject "process" seems to be constantly
running (I can see this with top, the PID keeps changing every second or
so).. so even if I close the drive, it will eject in a few seconds on its
own.. has anyone come across something like this? I'm not sure what triggered
this behavior all of a sudden today cos I didn't have any trouble till now..

Thanks,
nirmal