Re: airport on tibook: surfing vs. ssh/scp

On  19 Feb, this message from christophe barbe echoed through cyberspace:
>> > Is someone aware of firmware update for the airport card?
>> good question.
>
> I should have CC: ben. I hope you don't mind ben if I CC you. Is there
> something like firmware update for this kind of hardware? If yes do you
> know a way to know the firmware version?

Apple's Airport software regularly includes firmware updates for the
Airport card.

I also have strange problems with my Airport card, I can't get data
through. Slow, interactive traffic will mostly work, although there are
often dropouts of a few seconds (up to maybe 20 sec.) where my wireless
monitor indicates noise level above signal level.

But what kills it systematically is for example opening an X client
through ssh, which makes a burst of traffic. THat _always_ leeds to a
dropout.

For what it's worth, my card currently has this firmware rev:

pooh kernel: eth1: Looks like a Lucent/Agere firmware version 8.40

I posted a question about excessive Tx retries on my Airport card here a
while ago.

I'm still waiting for an opportunity to put my card in an OS X computer,
since Apple has newer firmware than 8.40, but only bundled with the OS X
Airport software.

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Michel