Re: Permedia3 console & 2.4.x kernel

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:52:14 +0100
Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:

> Just a quick question. You did rebuild and reconfigure the kernel
> yourself, right, and you did enable the pm3 framebuffer. I think it is
> not enabled by default, and that is why you don't see a thing.

No, I didn't build my own -- this is a Debian kernel image. I know
you'll all gasp in horror. I =have= built my own kernel a couple of
times, but not yet on this system, and something about the idea just
rubs me the wrong way. I'm amazed at how well the kernel build tools
work, but I still don't think it should be necessary. (More heresy!)

> Like said, i believe pm3fb is not built in in your kernel.

I think you're right. From one of the responses, I learned about the
/boot/config-2.4.19-powerpc file, and although no one mentioned it
specifically, I guessed that the line CONFIG_FB_PM3=m tells me that the
pm3fb driver is compiled as a module. Yes? To confirm this, I tried
"modprobe pm3fb", and sure enough, I got a working console.

So I added the module to /etc/modules (is the right way to do it?) and
it kicked in during boot, although fairly late in the process. Will I
need to compile it into the kernel to a console display from the
beginning?

Thanks for all the help, folks! I never expected to get this resolved so
quickly.

-- Michael