in search of Programming tutorial

I'm looking for a good tutorial that explains the rudimentary basics of
c/c++ programming on linux.  I recently (only a couple of months)
switched to linux from MacOS because I wanted to get into programming,
but it didn't make sense to jump head first into mac programming with
no c/c++ background, so I installed linux to take advantage of the CLI.
 I've installed the programming tools from tasksel, but I really don't
know how to make the most of them.  My question is, where can I find a
good totorial to get me started?  Also, I would eventually like to be
able to compile a kernel myself to take advantage of power management,
etc., so if anyone knows of any good documentation for that as well, I
would appreciate it.

thanks
-Nate