Re: Debian on 2nd HD

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 05:41:29PM -0500, Myria wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> The computer of interest is a Macintosh 9500 with a MaxPower G3 upgrade card at 300MHz. 117MB RAM, and three hd. 2 hd are on the internal scsi buss and one is on an Adaptec scsi controller. The primary (about 1.2GB) hd is running Mac OS 9.1. The second hd is also 1.2GB and is empty. The wide scsi hd from the Adaptex controller is 4.5GB.
>
> The external scsi buss is used for things like cd burner, external hd, removable syquest and MO disks. There is no permanent scsi chain on the external buss. I do have some spare 4.5GB and 9GB in storage.
>
> The 9500 is on an AppleTalk network to share a printer. Internet connection is through a dialup connection.
>
> The question: Can Debian Woody be installed on an empty hard drive without any Mac OS at all. In such a case the computer will recognize the OS from the primary hd and allow me to "switch" to the Debian hd, I hope. Or must the Debian hd have somepart of Mac OS on it?

Yes. No. The only caveat is that you make the choice for what kind of
computer it's going to be at boot; you don't switch from one to the
other. OTOH, If that IS what you want to do, there's Mac-on-Linux
(MOL) which will run MacOS inside Linux. And it works well, I
understand.

On a 9500, you will be able to make the choice of which system
to boot fairly easily. With quik (the default boot loader) you
can have it stop at OpenFirmware, and either type boot for Linux
or bye for MacOS. Or BootX is a Mac extension that interrupts
the Mac booting process and diverts over to Linux, giving you
a few seconds to decide which one should be booted.

> I have installed Red Hat and SuSE on some Intel boxes and the intalls were ok. The Intel boxes are structly Linux distros, no other OS. I am looking for a distro that will run on both platforms and Debian seems to have a good reputation. Will there be an installer in Debian somewhat like YAST2 from SuSE?

I'm not familiar with YAST, but the new Debian installer is
under construction now; you might want to tune in to debian-boot
for a while to see what's up. The powerpc port needs help, and
some people are starting on a GTK-type GUI.

> Will the Debian hd have any problem accessing the shared printer or using the cd burner?

You will need Linux drivers, that will depend on your hardware.

BTW, all debian mailing lists are text-only, manual wrapping
of lines is appreciated.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003