Re: The SmokeTest : Black Terrazzo Screen, No Boot, No Woody

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 10:19:21PM +0100, Winther wrote:
> Hi
>
> Im installing Debian on my Powermac 6400/200 (late stoneage hw)
>
> Everything seemed well until "Please, remove all floppy CD"
> And then Boot "for the very first time"
>
> It didnt boot
> The HD ran for 3 secs and then stopped
> The screen had a nice terrazzo pattern !
> :-) and thats all :-(
>
> But the worst was yet to come:
> Tried booting from my floppies
> What floppies ?? The machine didnt seem to recognice the drive -
> screen in terrazzo & stop
>
> During installation I repartitionened my harddisk, and I fear that I have been a little too eager
> For now I'm stuck with a machine that does'nt seem to have a active bootloader,
> And with no possibility for booting from a floppy or CD

When you say you re-partitioned, are you implying you initialized it
completely so there is no MacOS / driver partitions left?

If no, then you could boot MacOS using Cmd-Opt-P-R at boot.
That will disable the OF changes the installer made.

If yes, it will be a little more complicated. Very likely, your
monitor cannot be driven by OpenFirmware. In order to find out what
happens at boot, you would need to hook up another computer to the
Mac's serial port and open a terminal window. OpenFirmware
reads/writes from the serial port on all machines.

It may be easier to re-install MacOS, if you have a CD, then reinstall
Debian and use BootX (from MacOS) to boot instead of quik. Just depends
on your focus: do you want a working machine ASAP or do you want to
mess around and figure out what's going on? :) People seem to initially
have problems getting Performas booted, but I think usually they
can get it worked out. There have been a couple on the list during
the last few months.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003