Re: Does sungem support MII?

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 17:57, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> OoO Lors de la soirée naissante du samedi 08 février 2003, vers 17:31,
> <lstudzin@bacon.umcs.lublin.pl> disait:
>
> > I would like to use laptop-net package on ibook3 (Nov2002), but I am not
> > quite sure if its NIC (which is sungem) support MII (Media Independent
> > Interface). I had some trouble with network when a driver was configured
> > as a module.
>
> It supports the new ethtool interface, but not the mii one.

Sungem support ethtool ioctls, including the one to get link status.

It also supports SIOCGMIIPHY, SIOCGMIIREG and SIOCSMIIREG for
direct access to the MII PHY but I don't recommend using those.

Beware however that the chip & PHY are shut down approx. 10 seconds
after the interface is brough down with ifconfig for power saving.
So if you want to be able to poll the link status, you need to bring
the interface up (and wait a bit for link to come back up if it
was previously shutdown).

Ben.