Re: SOS : Some Post Installation Problems of Debian on iMac

On Son, 1970-01-04 at 17:48, Partha Pratim Ghosh wrote:
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
BTW, how's life back in 1970? ;)

> 	I have the iMac with processor PowerPC G3, 400 MHz machine with
>         a Apple USB keyboard, Mitsumi Apple USB Mouse (it has a single
>         button), and display ATY Rage 128K and 8M VRam.
>
> 	I have installed Debian 3.0 (Woody) on it, and I have the
>         following problems :
>
> 1.	The mouse is not detected, neither by the gpm nor by X

How can you tell it's not detected by X when it doesn't display
anything? ;) Looks good from the log, you need /dev/input/mice with
protocol ImPS/2 for both.

> 2.	X does not start : there is a complete blank screen and nothing
>         happens after sometime. However, one is ale to switch to other
>         terminals, so that the machine does not hang.

So X does start, only you don't see anything. At least some Macs seem to
require the horizontal refresh to be around 60 kHz, so try something
like

	HorizSync 55-65

in the monitor section. If that still doesn't work, look at the log why
the modes get rejected.