Re: keyboard!#%^&

Chris Tillman wrote:

> Use dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 -- although I'm not sure that was
> available in potato. Also, woody's xfree 86 has much better support
> for powerpc hardware, so it might be a better idea to just upgrade
> now. That will straighten out a lot of problems.

Chris,

  Potato does have dpkg-reconfigure, but it returned some message
(sorry not to quote it accurately) about not being able to work on
xserver-xfree86.  I eventually decided (for reasons I'll explain) to
bite the bullet and do an apt-get upgrade.  It failed completely and
while it doesn't matter at this point (I'll explain that, too), I'm curious
about what I did wrong.  Basically I replaced the word potato with the
word woody in sources.list and told it: apt-get dist-upgrade.  When it
failed, it suggested I do: apt-get update to replace missing files, so I did.
That did something, but as far as I can tell, not very much (sorry again
not to have preserved the specific messages it returned).
It did return a lot of "404-not found" errors, though.  I did not
rerun apt-get dist-upgrade, however, so I don't know if the results of
that would have been different.
Anyway, I would be interested if you have any thoughts on what I'm
doing wrong here.

But,

At this point, my original kernel (2.2.17) will no longer boot up at all,
returning error messages about (as far as I can tell) bad sectors in the
swap partition.  (Although the later kernel -- which actually proved to
only be a 2.2.20 -- will boot up, but, as before, won't do the GUI.)
Basically, I think the drive itself is physically shot
(based on other evidence as well) and I am going to be best
off doing an entirely new installation of woody on a new drive :-(

Oh, well...

Anyway, thanks for all your advice and help so far and if you have
any further observations on any of the above, I would be interested
to hear them as well.

Mike