Re: Powerbook 15" 1Ghz radeonfb/XFree86 woes

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Tugrul Galatali wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 16:21, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Your device tree doesn't contain the EDID... From what I see, I'd
> > say
> > it's a HW problem (not properly wired screen ?)

Same thing on my iBook. Not sure if it's a hardware problem, though. It
manifested after toying with an OpenFirmware hack that enables dual-head
output in OSX.

>       I went and bought the torx screwdriver needed to pop open the
>       bottom
> cover. I unplugged, blasted with compressed air, and reseated all the
> wires coming down from the LCD, and that seems to have had no effect.
> had also unwound on seemingly unecessary and sharp turn in the largest
> line down from the LCD.
>
>       OSX is still happy, X is still unhappy.

I ended up hardcording the EDID-values into radeonfb.c. Most ugly hack,
but at least It Works For Me.

>       Some point later today, I'll try dismantling the LCD itself and
>       hope
> that fiddling with it might have some effect, aside from destroying it
> :) If the cable is removable from both ends, maybe I'll try shopping
> for
> a replacement.
>
>       Any clue on how I can get this problem to manifest under OSX so
>       I can
> build some sort of case with tech support?

$ ioreg -l | grep EDID

gives two lines with "EDIDerr=<f615>" or similiar here.

Good luck,

--
Michael

:wq