Re: Powerbook 15" 1Ghz radeonfb/XFree86 woes

On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 12:17, Tugrul Galatali wrote:
> 	After installing Debian using Branden's guide, installing a hand rolled
> 2.4.21-ben2, and grabbing Michel's dri-trunk packages, all I get when I
> start X (using a variety of config files available online) is a offline
> LCD.
> 	After poking around, I realized that I wasn't actually using radeonfb:
>
> PCI: Enabling device 00:10.0 (0086 -> 0087)
> radeonfb: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=12, xclk=20025 from OF
> radeonfb: Failed to detect DFP panel size

Ben, any idea why this could be?

> 	Given Michel's comments in an email back in June, looks like I need to
> squash this issue before I get X running.

Current xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk can basically work without radeonfb -
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk/examples/XF86Config-4.radeon
might work out of the box on an M7 or M9 machine. Your case is weird
though:

> 	A bunch of files with possibly useful info:
>
> http://acm.cs.nyu.edu/~tugrul/tibook/

DDC detection of the panel fails - I assume this still works perfectly
in Mac OS? (Could be related to the radeonfb problem and smells like a
firmware or even hardware problem...)

Does
	Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS"

in the radeon device section make a difference?

> 	And a related question... when exiting/switching out of this not quite
> functional X, the LCD isn't restored to the fb console, but gets all
> plasma/psychedelic. That doesn't damage the LCD does it (it looks
> painful =P)?

This effect is called 'blooming' and basically means the LCD isn't
driven at all (probably because the radeon driver fails to restore the
console properly). It's never seemed to hurt any of the panels I've
used, but I wouldn't let it go on too long anyway. :)