Re: bloat tolerance?

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> >> This is kind of a survey for PowerPC Linux users.
> >> Is it OK to make 32-bit PowerPC apps bigger and
> >> slower to allow for running them on IBM's 64-bit
> >> hardware? This would hurt everyone running Linux
> >> on a Mac.
> >
> > 32 bit PowerPC Linux is not exclusive to the Mac. It is run
> > on PowerPC ATX boards too, which are nothing like a Mac.
>
> Yeah, I know, but that isn't the popular choice.
> I once had 32-bit PowerPC Linux running on the
> Force PowerCore 6750 VME and an even more exotic
> embedded supercomputer node. Never mind though...
>
> The point is, normal 32-bit systems are getting hurt
> because apps are being asked to support 64-bit kernels
> with the same binary.

Ugh, the embedded PPC people will be happy (and /me too with my old 604e)...

Usually people try to fix their 64-bit kernel so they can run _unmodified_
32-bit applications. So in your case I would call the applications '32/64-bit
applications' instead of `32-bit applications'.

What is the exact nature of the changes you need to make to the 32-bit
applications?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds